If you are a tech savvy then you must have come across this framework. However, if you are new to this whole coding and web development business; come aboard, we are going to explain this wonderful web development tool to you in simple and easy-to-comprehend words.
What Is Ruby on Rails?
In simple words it’s a tool, or more like a framework written in Ruby, that helps in the building of web applications. To start off, first be clear; Ruby is a dynamic and reflective language that was created in 1990s and Rails is the framework created around 2005 by DHH under MIT license.
Now comes the question, what in the world are these web applications which RoR helps to develop? You must be aware of websites like Slideshare ,Fiverr, Soundcloud, GitHub and etc. Right? These are all web applications based on the framework of Ruby on Rails, and work on the principle of making changes on user request and actions. These are browser based, and in a way very similar to the programs that are installed in our personal computers.
This framework is notable for its key features, which are:
Convention over Configuration
RoR framework is based on the Model View Controller pattern, and acts by rendering the monotonous and time taking tasks -like building forms and menus- easier to follow. While providing ready-made solutions from the code stream available in its open-source libraries, this conventional tool makes the turnkey products readily accessible. This way, developers are safe from the hassle of configuring everything from scratch, and the attempts to make decisions are reduced by a great deal.
Active Record Pattern
Active Record is the Ruby implementation of Active Record Pattern is Rails. It is actually an architectural format that stores object data in databases and adds domain logic to this data. It also makes the database interacting with the software, and the data more approachable. It helps developers in handling the code writing, while the rest of the connecting details to data base are mollycoddled by Active Record.
Agile Web Development
Ruby on Rails are the biggest proponents for Agile Web Development, which emphasizes on the core values of Agile Manifesto. Interactions between individuals and customer collaboration are focused upon more to compete well in the tech world, where requirements for web development are changing constantly.
Benefits of Ruby on Rails
If you are wondering that why use Ruby on Rails and no other frameworks, then we can make a whole list of the benefits and the ease it provides the developers. So, why not?
- Open Source: It’s absolutely free, with no licensing costs. The entire source code can be accessed by anyone without having to pay even a penny. Moreover, developers and tech people can also contribute any feature to it to make it better.
- Beginners Friendly: It’s easy to use and very easy to learn. The thing about it is that not only the framework but even the programming language, Ruby is also beginners friendly. With only learning the basics of the language, you can ultimately be on your way to use Ruby on Rails.
- Self-documentation: Ruby on Rails doesn’t need developers to configure everything, but self-documents and provides existing projects. This in turn increases productivity, as the time to separately write extensive documents is utilized in programming.
- Object-oriented: Ruby is an object-oriented programming language. It allows virtual objects to be created with their own particular characteristics and abilities. The instructions can be given to these objects in groups according to how they interact and act with each other.
- Fast Processing: This framework is the best for those startups that want the first version of their web applications in hand as quickly as possible. The ready-made and open source solutions can help the whole coding and programming to be error free.
Ruby on Rails- In Comparison To Other Frameworks
There is a potential drawback that not all web hosts support Rails, but few like Heroku and EngineYard. Moreover, there is this fact that still forces the clients to speculate the usage of RoR and which is; Rail Applications are not fast enough. At least in comparison to Java or C. However, there are big and famous websites like Airbnb and Gov.uk that relies on Rails to support their websites.
Although, there are more developers having expertise in PHP and Java at the moment, the Rail on Ruby is constantly growing. According to buildwith.com, 1,041,321 live websites are using Rails on Ruby as framework at the moment, which is quite an impressive number.
To conclude, Ruby on Rails is a powerful and edgier development tool that is not only free, but is also user-friendly. It gets the product done in small time while being bug-free, to be made available to customers for use.